4.24.2012

FIGHT TO CLOSE THE GAP

These past couple months have been like a roller coaster ride. Terrifying build-ups that leave my stomach in knots and my heart in a panic, followed by fast-paced thrills, excitement, and fun that leave me with the biggest grin on my face. My budding photography career is just that. Budding. I've done some fun shoots with friends, had my first paid solo gig, and shadowed my first wedding (don't worry; the pictures are on their way, people!). I've learned a ton, but I still feel like I am just scratching the surface. But I know that this is what I am meant to be doing right now. 

I am uncomfortable, challenged, and weak; and I am happy, creative, and free. I guess I kinda like roller coasters ;)

When I started this blog, my first post was about courage. Courage was what I needed to take the first step towards photography. To be willing to put myself out there. Today's post is about perseverance. I am a couple months in and the pressure to give up arises again. And sometimes it's strong. But I know that I've got to press on. To keep going. To fight.

The ever-present fear of failure constantly tries to derail me. I am in a continual battle with laziness, which tempts me to quit because it's just. too. hard. But I know that real growth takes time and effort. And I want to grow! The words below, which are posted on the wall above my desk, serve as a reminder of that. To anyone out there who is aspiring to become excellent at something, I must urge you: fight to close the gap.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Ira Glass' Storytelling pieces. Pure wisdom and great pick me ups. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thought on developing skill. Most people don't get this and just get frustrated and stop.

    ReplyDelete