1.04.2012

THE GOOD KIND OF PAIN

Who are you and what did you do with my wife?

That's what Kurt must've been wondering this morning when I woke up and asked him if we could go for a run. A run? A RUN. By the look on his face, you'd think he was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to jump out from behind the door and tell him he was being Punk'd.

I am not a morning person. And on a cold January morning the last thing on my mind is rolling outta bed and going on a jog. You'd think being a long-distance runner in high school I'd be well-acquainted with the benefits of running (adrenaline-hiiigh, anyone?), but it has actually been quite a looooong time since I've done anything even close to exercise. I'd say I have more of a love-hate relationship with running (with an emphasis on hate).

I mean it. I seriously cannot stand being cold, or uncomfortable, or sweaty. So why on Earth were the first words to come out of my mouth basically a request for torture?

Deep down I wanted to have that feeling. You know, that feeling of soreness that says: I know that this hurts, but this is sooo GOOD for me. My comfort-loving self, of course, wants to avoid the the pain of burning lungs as I HEEEAVE! HOOO! my way down a few short blocks. The inconvenience of sore thighs tomorrow. The cost of decent running attire (cause my middle school P.E. shorts simply aren't cutting it anymore). My warm bed beckons me back into its oh so lovely embrace... 

As we make it down one block my pride tells me Wow. Just quit, you look absolutely pathetic... that isn't even running. Matter-fact, that's a walk-run AT BEST. But deep down I want to change. I don't want to live for comfort anymore. I want to do what's good, what's right, what's scary, what's painful, what's brave, what's beautiful. Because I know that in the end it's really what's best.
Blast from the Past. One of the few pictures of me running where I don't look like I think I'm about to puke. Or die.
Now, I know that sounded all deep and what not, but another reason why I decided I needed to reclaim my physical health through exercise is the following video. Plus, I just bought new jeans and after all the yummy Christmas goodies my mother-in-law tempted me with, I would like them to still keep fitting me... and I'll admit, I wasn't too hard to tempt ;)

1 comment:

  1. I remember the Yasmin freshman year that was into running with Chad and I

    ReplyDelete